Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week Two of TheWeeklyWonder

     If we perceived obesity in a similar way to cancer,  I wonder if there would be as much push back against Michele Obama's program to support healthy school lunches? I wonder if the illness of obesity is perceived as a disease of the  "weak willed"? Or,  of the lower classes? Or, of  "those others"? Obesity kills. Untreated obesity is responsible for a gigantic part of the USA's health care budget, public and private. Just wondering what it is about obesity that has created such a reaction by so many.
     I wonder why there is so much support among conservative Republicans for government research and treatment programs for cancer, but not much support for government efforts to fight obesity? Just wondering.
     I wonder, now that the federal government has decided to 1. drastically scale back the space exploration program,   2. park the space shuttle;  and 3. make no significant commitment of additional resources to a manned flight to Mars or anywhere else, if the "free market" is going to step in to that arena, fully, to develop those scientific areas of inquiry? I wonder if the Russians will put the first person on Mars?
    If the  federal government doesn't "produce anything" as some conservative pundits contend; then, I wonder what the free market will produce in the realm of space exploration? And, yes, I understand that there are already significant expenditures and activities in space from the private market (satellites, proposed tourist flights into orbit, etc.). But, if government doesn't explore the next frontier, I wonder who will?
     I wonder how big the margin of victory will be for Obama's reelection in 2012? And, I wonder how many seats the Republicans will lose in the House and in the Senate in 2012? I wonder who will ultimately be blamed for this debt ceiling game that is being played out right now in Washington?

1 comment:

  1. I wonder why we have TERRIBLE school lunches, nutritionally bereft, sugar laced milk while at the same time cutting back PE?
    It started 40 years ago when liberal leaning politicians decided that schools had to serve lunch because the parents couldn't be trusted to pack a decent lunch.
    It started 40 years ago in our Universities when lazy companies and Democrat politicians demanded that Universities 'job train' people instead of teach them how to think, how to analise, how to maintain scientific rigor, how to debate and not argue, how to do real research, how to understand - not to be taught, how to develop ethical boundaries and not be told what they are....
    I very much want Obama out but I think he will squeak in and I believe the Dems will loose a couple more seats, more probably losing the Senate as well which at least will force the President off of his spending spree.

    ReplyDelete